Juicy Beef and Mushroom Burgers
- 2 pounds 95% extra lean ground beef
- 1 pound white button or Portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2-4 tablespoons whole grain or Panko breadcrumbs
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 8 whole grain hamburger buns
- Sliced tomato, onion and lettuce leafs
Sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms in a large nonstick frying pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring; drain any excess liquid and place in a large bowl. Add ground beef, egg white, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and bread crumbs; thoroughly combine. Form ground beef mixture into eight patties; add more bread crumbs if needed to form patties. Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
Using the same nonstick frying pan over medium high heat, cook burger, 4-5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 160 F.
Serve burgers on whole grain buns garnished with a slice of tomato, onion and lettuce leaf.
Yield: 8 burgers
Amount Per Serving:
Calories from fat: 77 (24%)
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 34g
Dietary Fiber: 6g