Red Wine Chicken Thighs
Recipe by Chef Tre Wilcox
This delicious entree can be prepared with or without the chicken skin. Removing the chicken skin will help reduce both the number of calories and amount of fat, while cooking with the skin may enhance the flavor and help to seal in the natural juices.
- 3 teaspoons coriander seed
- ½ piece star anise
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2½ teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 chicken thighs
- 6 shallots — peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion — peeled and chopped
- 1 leek — chopped and washed
- 2 Roma tomatoes — chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 5 sprigs of oregano
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chives — minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian flat leaf parsley — chopped fine
Preheat oven to 350ªF.
1) In a small saute pan combine coriander seed, star anise, black peppercorns and red chili flakes. Toast over medium heat until fragrant.
2) Place spices into grinder and grind into semi-coarse powder. Mix mixture with salt and season chicken thighs heavily on all sides.
3) Heat two medium size saute pans over high heat. Using grapeseed oil, sear chicken on both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
4) Put all the chicken thighs into a roasting pan, making sure chicken pieces are not stacked on top of each other. Remove some oil from the pan.
5) Turn heat down to medium and begin sauteing shallots, onions and leeks. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes and deglaze with red wine.
6) Reduce slightly, then add water, bay leaf, thyme, oregano and honey. Bring liquid to a boil, then pour over chicken. Cover pan with foil and roast in oven for one hour.
To complete the dish:
Remove chicken from cooking liquid and place on plate and cover with foil. Strain liquid into small sauce pot. You should have about 2- 1 3/4 cups left. Reduce over medium heat by half. Season with vinegar and lemon juice. Turn off heat and add chives and parsley right before you serve it. Place one chicken thigh in the center of serving plate. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve.
Nutritional Information Without Skin
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 12g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5g
Nutritional Information With Skin
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 11g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5g