Quinoa Citrus Beet Salad
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD
- 1 3/4 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 1/3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 medium red beet, roasted, peeled and cubed*
- 1 medium yellow beet, roasted, peeled and cubed*
- 3 clementines, peeled and sectioned
Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat olive oil in large, heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat; add shallots and sauté 2-3 minutes until tender. Add broth, bring to a boil, add quinoa; cover, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; let sit a few minutes before fluffing with a fork. Cool.
Combine orange juice, vinegar, pomegranate seeds, parsley, salt and pepper. Add quinoa, beets, clementines and toss to combine.
**To roast beets – trim ends, rinse and wrap each beet in aluminum foil. Roast in 350 oven until tender, about 1 hour.
Calories from fat: 41 (21%)
Saturated Fat: 1g