Raw Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
Recipe submitted by Pro Cyclist Mara Abbott
My current go-to recipe as a make ahead holiday contribution is a kale and Brussels sprout salad I acquired from two friends who have launched a program and book called the Conscious Cleanse by Jo Schaalman and Julia Pelaez. The Conscious Cleanse has been a big part of much of my diet for the last two years.
- 2 cups curly green kale, de-stemmed and chopped, about 1 bunch (each bunch differs in size)
- 12 Brussels sprouts (about 2 big handfuls)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- Sprinkle a dash of sea salt over chopped kale and use your hands to massage it by lightly scrunching handfuls of kale in your hands. Release and repeat until the kale becomes darker in color and more fragrant. Transfer the kale to a medium serving bowl.
- Chop off and discard the stem end of the Brussels sprouts and any discolored outer leaves. Slice the sprouts as thin as possible, then use your fingers to break up any clumps. Add the sprouts to the bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the tahini, vinegar, maple syrup and red pepper flakes. Whisk in the water slowly adding only as much as needed so the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the kale and sprouts, mix well.
- In a small pan over medium heat, toast the almond slivers, stirring frequently, until fragrant and turning golden (this will take less than five minutes so watch carefully). Add the toasted almonds to the salad and toss. Serve immediately.
2 generous servings
Amount Per Serving:
Calories from fat: 198
Total Fat: 22g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 30g
Dietary Fiber: 10g