Enjoy this reduced fat, low-calorie version of fast-food taco salad. Warm the beans to add flavor and think about adding a little ground chicken or turkey. Four ounces of meat add only about 70 calories per serving. Although the carb content may seem high for a salad, the carbs are mainly from the beans, which are a rich source of folic acid and fiber.
- 4 cups lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup pinto beans, drained of juice
- 2 oz. baked tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 T reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
In a salad bowl, mix together the vegetables, pinto beans and tortilla chips. Add the salsa and stir gently to blend. Top with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
Dietary Fiber: 11g