Roasted Butternut Squash with Toasted Walnuts
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD
- 2 large butternut squash (about 3-4 pounds total)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Skin, seed and cube squash, place in large mixing bowl.
- Toss squash with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and onions.
- Arrange squash mixture in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet or sheet pan.
- Roast vegetables until tender and golden brown, about 25-30 minutes, stirring to promote even cooking.
- Remove from oven, toss with walnuts, sage, salt and pepper.
Calories from fat: 95
Saturated Fat: 1g