Eat them cold – or warm them in the microwave. Serve these mouth-watering spinach squares as a snack, side dish, light lunch or appetizer.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk (skim or 1 percent)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (whole-wheat can be substituted for half the flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 T trans-fat-free spread, melted
- 1/2 cup fat-free or light sour cream
- 4 oz. reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 boxes (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
Preheat oven to 325° F. Coat a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray. Beat eggs, milk, flour, salt, baking powder, melted spread and sour cream in mixing bowl on medium-low speed until batter is smooth.
Gently squeeze excess water from thawed spinach. Stir cheese cubes and spinach into the batter. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 35 minutes. Test center to make sure it isn?t runny. Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.
Cut into squares and keep them refrigerated. Eat cold or heat in microwave.
Saturated Fat: 4.5g
Dietary Fiber: 2g