© 2013 Chef Marvin Woods
Make this in bulk. You can make it up to a week in advance and store in a sealed airtight container.
- 3 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup currants, dried cherries or assorted dried fruit
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, optional
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Pour the steel cut oats in a large bowl and add the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a saucepan, warm the honey and oil and stir to incorporate. Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and toss together. Spread over the baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Stir every 10 minutes, about 40 minutes. Place the sheet on a cooling rack. Add the dried fruit and stir to cool.