Basil Tomato Red Pepper Soup with Garlic Toast
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD
This delicious and nutrient-rich soup is perfect hot or cold, depending on the season.
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup spicy tomato juice
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock (or more)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 10 whole fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt for garnish
- 10 basil leaves chopped for garnish
- Whole-grain baguette
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Roast bell pepper in 375 degree oven until charred and soft, about 10 minutes. Peel and seed pepper and cut into chunks.
- Core and cut tomatoes into chunks.
- In a food processor, purée the tomatoes and red bell pepper, tomato juice, lemon juice, stock and sugar – purée until smooth.
- Add 10 basil leaves and continue to purée until smooth. Add more stock if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Serve soup with garnish of sour cream and chopped basil.
- Prepare garlic toast by sautéing garlic in olive oil until golden, 3-4 minutes.
- Slice baguette and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush baguette slices with garlic oil and toast in a 375 degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with soup.
Yield: 6 servings (1 cup soup and 2 slices garlic toast)
Amount per serving:
Calories from fat: 41 percent
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 1.8g
Total Carbohydrates: 32g
Dietary Fiber: 5.5g