Mediterranean White Bean and Spinach Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced finely
- 4 and 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes (fresh may be substituted)
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans (any white bean may be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- Dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 ounces small whole-wheat pasta shells
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 teaspoons shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic, carrots and onions until the carrots are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes, beans, rosemary, Italian seasoning and pepper to skillet. Bring to boil.
- Add shells. Cook 14 minutes. If soup is too thick, simply add a bit more stock.
- Stir in spinach. Continue cooking until wilted.
- Serve in soup bowls. Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
6 - 1 and 1/3 cup Servings
Calories from fat: 36
Saturated Fat: 1g
Dietary Fiber: 4g