Roasted Curried Squash Soup with Almonds
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 large acorn squash
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 5 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat-free
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 6 Tbsp. fat-free sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh or dried chives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut each squash in half, scoop out seeds and place cut side down along with onion on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Cut top off of garlic bulb, drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil on cut surface, wrap bulb in aluminum foil and place on sheet with other vegetables. Roast vegetables for approximately 45 minutes or until tender.
- Scoop flesh from both squash, squeeze out garlic flesh from bulb and place in heavy-bottom pot along with onion, 1/2 cup almonds, chicken stock, apple juice and spices. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Using a hand or traditional blender, purée soup in batches until smooth; return to pot and add fat-free half-and-half and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of fat-free sour cream, remaining almonds and a sprinkle of chives.
Calories from fat: 72 (39%)
Saturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 1 mg