Spicy Southwestern Black Bean Turkey Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen), divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can low sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) petite diced fire roasted tomatoes, no added salt, undrained
- 2 cups cooked skinless turkey breast, shredded
- Juice from 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 small avocado, diced
- Puree ½ cup corn; set aside.
- In a heavy bottom stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic to pan; sauté until tender.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and chicken stock to stock pot; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add pureed and fresh corn, beans, tomatoes, turkey and lime juice. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro. Garnish with yogurt and avocado. Serve.
Calories from fat: 70
Saturated fat: 1g