White Bean and Kale Soup
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon or lean ham, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups, chopped fresh kale
- pinch salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large, heavy bottom Dutch oven or soup pot over mediumhigh heat.
- Add onions; sauté 5 minutes; add meat and garlic and continue cooking 1-2 minutes.
- Add potato, carrots, bay leaf and stock; cook 8 minutes until potato is soft.
- Add beans, kale, salt, pepper and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Calories from fat: 45 (22%)
Saturated Fat: 1.6g
Dietary Fiber: 7g