Cold Yogurt Cucumber Soup with Avocado
Recipe by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 leeks, sliced (discard dark green stalks)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups peeled, cubed and seeded cucumber (about 3 large)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed for garnish
- In a heavy bottom 4 quart pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute leeks 5-7 minutes until tender; add garlic and continue sautéing for additional 2 minutes.
- Add cucumbers and chicken stock; simmer until cucumbers are softened about 6-8 minutes.
- Pour small batches of cucumber soup into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to pot and add 2 teaspoons of dill, vinegar, salt, pepper and yogurt; whisk to thoroughly blend.
- Cover and refrigerate soup until chilled, about 2-3 hours.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with avocado and dill.
Calories from fat: 56 (50%)
Saturated Fat: 1.1g
Dietary Fiber: 3.4g