Checklist to prepare for a telehealth visit
3 simple steps to help you get ready for your visit
Telehealth connects you with a doctor or health care provider from the comfort of home. Depending on your health plan, you’ll likely pay less if you use a provider in your plan’s network. Simply sign in to your health plan account to find the most up-to-date list of network providers for your plan.
With the convenience of a telehealth visit, you can get access to quality care. Telehealth may also be a great way to stay on top of your health and stay at home. Here are 3 simple steps to help you prepare for a smooth visit.
1. Get yourself ready
Take a few minutes before your telehealth visit to prepare.
- Quiet space: Choose a quiet area to avoid interruptions from family and pets
- Good lighting: Position yourself in a well-lit room and try to avoid windows in the background that can cause glare
- Comfortable spot: Find a place to settle in for your visit, like sitting at the kitchen table or in a comfy living room chair
2. Get your information ready
It’s a good idea to have your questions and information on hand.
- Questions: Jot down questions about symptoms, procedures or prescriptions
- Medications: List your prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, plus vitamins and supplements, along with your pharmacy name and address
- Insurance: Keep your UnitedHealthcare member ID card handy for easy access
3. Get your tech ready
To ensure a smooth experience, take a few minutes to check your tech.
- Connect: Test your internet signal to ensure it’s strong
- Charge: Plug in or charge up your selected device — smartphone, laptop or tablet
- Position: Steady your camera by propping it up in front of you instead of holding the device
- Access: Follow any special instructions from your provider, like downloading an app or setting up an account
- Test: Test the audio and video on your device 10 to 15 minutes before your telehealth visit
- Speed: Consider closing other apps to help avoid a slow internet connection and distractions
- Volume: Check that the microphone on your device is on and the volume is up, not on mute