Exercising your Right to Request Confidential Communications Related to Sensitive Services
You may request that we send confidential communications in a different format or to a different address when the medical information is related to “sensitive services.” Sensitive services includes, but is not limited to, all Covered Health Care Services related to mental or behavioral health, sexual and reproductive health, sexually transmitted infections, substance use disorder, gender affirming care, and intimate partner violence.
How we will send confidential communications related to your receipt of sensitive services:
- If you have designated an alternative mailing address, email address, or telephone number, we are required to send or make all communications related to your receipt of sensitive services to the alternative mailing address, email address, or telephone number designated.
- If you have not designated an alternative mailing address, email address, or telephone number, we are required to send or make all communications related to your receipt of sensitive services at the address or telephone number on file.
Types of confidential communications related to your receipt of sensitive services:
The confidential communications subject to this notification include the following written, verbal, or electronic communications related to the receipt of sensitive services:
- bills and attempts to collect payment.
- notices of Adverse Benefit Determinations.
- explanation of benefits (EOB) notice.
- requests for additional information regarding a claim.
- notices of contested claims.
- the name and address of a provider, description of services provided, and other information related to a visit.
- any written, oral, or electronic communication that contains protected health information.
In certain circumstances, we will accept your verbal request to receive confidential communications; however, we may also require you confirm your request in writing. In addition, any requests to modify or cancel a previous confidential communication request must be made in writing. Mail your request to the address listed below.
How to submit a confidential communications request:
You can submit a confidential communications request at the following address:
Customer Service - Privacy Unit
PO Box 740815
Atlanta, GA 30374-0815
If you have any questions about this notice, please call the telephone number on your ID card.