A little prevention may do a lot of good
Are you making the most of your preventive care benefits?
If you only see your primary doctor when you’re sick, you might be missing out on some great ways to stay healthy.
At a wellness checkup, your doctor can give you routine preventive care that may help you head off serious health conditions down the road. And because preventive care services help you stay healthy, many are covered at no extra cost to you.*
What is preventive care?
Preventive care often includes:
1. Tests and screenings. Depending on your age and sex, these may include:
- Blood pressure checks
- Cholesterol tests
- Cancer screenings
- Weight checks
These tests help doctors spot health problems early, when they’re often easier to treat.
2. Vaccines. These help prevent illnesses such as the flu, measles and shingles.
3. Counseling. To help you make choices that support good health, your doctor may also offer tips on topics such as:
- Healthy eating
- Tobacco and alcohol use
Talk with your doctor about what you can do to stay healthy.
What to do next
Our Preventive Care Guidelines(Opens a new window) tool is designed to make it easy to find out what services you and your family may need. You can:
- Get customized guidelines for each family member
- Print a list of items to discuss with your doctor
- Sign up for email reminders
Subscribe to our newsletter
Want to receive our enewsletter? Subscribe to Healthy Mind Healthy Body® today.
- If you are a new member, register on myuhc.com® to begin getting the newsletter.
- If you've already registered on myuhc.com, log into your account and update your Subscriptions in the Account Settings section.
*Check your benefit plan to see what services may be covered. Certain preventive care services are provided as specified by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), with no cost-sharing to you. These services are based on your age, gender and other health factors. UnitedHealthcare also covers other routine services that may require a copay, coinsurance or deductible.