Hey, guys: 4 great reasons to have a checkup
Take a stand for better health
Here’s a goal to tackle for Men’s Health Month! Use the month of June to take a hard look at your health care. See what you’re doing well — and where you could improve.
For many men, the first step toward better health starts with a doctor visit.
Why wellness exams matter so much
Choosing a primary care doctor — and seeing him or her for regular checkups — can help you stay healthy for the long haul. Wellness visits are a great way to:
- Make sure you’re up-to-date on preventive care, such as screenings and immunizations
- Find problems early, when they’re easier to treat
- Detect conditions that don’t have symptoms, such as high blood pressure
- Learn how to reduce the risk of future health problems
Many health plans cover preventive care(Opens a new window) at no extra cost to you when you see a provider in your network.*
Be seen, be screened
Talk with your doctor about what screenings you may need. Your doctor can help you decide when and how often you need certain screenings, based on factors like your age and health history. For example, your doctor may test you for:
- Colorectal cancer
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Type 2 diabetes
Also ask your doctor about any vaccines you might need. You should have a flu shot each year, for instance, and a tetanus booster every 10 years.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Want to receive our enewsletter? Subscribe to Healthy Mind Healthy Body® today.
- If you are a new member, register on myuhc.com® to begin getting the newsletter.
- If you've already registered on myuhc.com, log into your account and update your Subscriptions in the Account Settings section.
*Check your benefit plan to see what services may be covered. Blood work and other lab tests may not be covered under the preventive care benefit.