6 perks to get in on with your dentist.
Here’s a relationship with a big upside.
If you can’t remember the last time you saw your dentist, you may be missing out.
That’s because seeing your dentist regularly — and not just when you have a bad toothache — may pay off with big benefits.
Show up — reap the rewards.
Getting routine dental checkups may:
1. Saves you money, time and misery. Regular visits help your dentist find problems — like cavities and gum disease — in their early stages, when you might not even notice them. That’s when treatment is typically easier, quicker and more affordable.
Better yet: Routine visits may keep dental problems from cropping up at all.
2. Take cleaning to the next level. Daily brushing and flossing are vital to clean teeth. But a bacteria-rich sticky film called plaque may still build up on your teeth — and harden into tartar. Regular dental cleanings can keep plaque and tartar in check.
3. Brighten your smile. Professional cleanings include polishing to remove stains and plaque. Your dentist can also advise you on other ways to improve your smile, from whitening to solutions for crowded or crooked teeth and more.*
4. Freshen breath. Your dentist may detect — and treat — problems that can cause bad breath. Common culprits include cavities, gum disease, mouth sores and a dry mouth.
5. Help you kick teeth-harming habits. Do you smoke or chew tobacco? Steadily snack or sip sweet drinks all day? Brush your teeth too hard? Grind them at night? Your dentist can talk with you about these and other habits that tend to take a toll on teeth and gums — and offer ideas that may help.
6. Spot cancer early. At every visit, your dentist will check your mouth for early signs of oral cancer — which can become deadly, especially if undetected until it has spread.
What to do next
Have a dentist? Make that overdue appointment now. If you don’t have a dentist, look for network dentists on myuhc.comOpens a new window®. You can also research onlineOpens a new window — or ask friends for recommendations. Be sure to check your dental plan to see what services and providers may be covered.
Need dental insurance? Find a plan that fits your needs and budget.Opens a new window
Subscribe to our newsletter
Want to receive our e-newsletter? Subscribe to Healthy Mind Healthy Body® today.
- If you are a new member, register on myuhc.com® to begin getting the newsletter.
- If you've already registered on myuhc.com, log into your account and update your Subscriptions in the Account Settings section.
*Check your benefit plan to see what services may be covered.