Hospital and doctor indemnity insurance
Health ProtectorGuard fixed indemnity insurance
Hospital and doctor fixed indemnity insurance, like Health ProtectorGuard1 underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, is also often called fixed-benefit insurance or fee for service insurance. That’s because this type of insurance pays you a set—that is, fixed—amount of money for specific services covered by the plan.
Apply benefit payments toward your other health plan's deductible
Get cash to help meet prescription drug copays
Help pay your share of lab or diagnostic costs, like for blood tests or X-rays
Have money for those unforeseen expenses surrounding a planned or an unplanned surgery
Unexpected medical bills can disrupt even the healthiest home budgets. Health ProtectorGuard1 is a fixed-benefit insurance plan that can help you deal with the unexpected by paying you or your provider a preset benefit amount for some of the most common medical costs you and your loved ones might face.
View plans by state
With a Health ProtectorGuard indemnity plan:
- The benefit is paid after a covered expense is submitted regardless of other insurance coverage.
- You don’t have to meet a deductible before you receive benefits.
- You choose the doctor or health facility you need.2
- You can go to any doctor or health care facility you want. However, you may also save money with discounted rates for services if you use doctors or providers in your plan's featured network, which varies by state.
- You can apply year round, not just during an enrollment period or because of special circumstances.
What is indemnity insurance?
A fixed indemnity plan like Health ProtectorGuard is much different than a major medical insurance plan.
A regular major medical health insurance plan pays for all or a percentage of covered expenses after you meet a deductible, pay a copay or reach a certain amount of out-of-pocket costs. Put simply, for qualified expenses, in most cases, you pay first, and then your insurance company covers the rest.
A fixed indemnity plan offers limited benefits and is meant to supplement a more traditional health insurance plan. Indemnity insurance essentially flips how you are paid when compared to major medical insurance. You or your provider are paid a predetermined fixed benefit for certain health care expenses you have incurred, and then you are on your own for the rest.
Fixed indemnity insurance is not major medical insurance and does not provide the coverage mandated under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). It does not provide coverage for all the essential health benefits outlined in the ACA. It will most likely not provide coverage for expenses resulting from preexisting medical conditions.
Learn about Health ProtectorGuard Fixed Indemnity Insurance
What are the features of a Health ProtectorGuard insurance plan?
- Wellness/preventive care benefits available on most plans can help you visit the doctor to stay healthy, not just when you feel ill.3
- Unlimited inpatient hospital confinement and surgical benefits mean no matter how long you stay in the hospital or how many surgeries you have, you may receive benefits.4
- Rx benefits included with many plans help with ongoing prescription drug expenses. A prescription drug discount card included with all plans can help reduce your out of pocket costs.5
- Telehealth benefits included with many plans make virtual visits with your doctor possible without leaving your home.
- Some benefits increase the longer you have a plan. See brochure for details.
View Health ProtectorGuard product brochure
Note: No insurance plan covers everything. The Health ProtectorGuard product brochure has more detailed information to help you decide if this coverage will work for you.
How do I use my Health ProtectorGuard insurance?
It’s simple. You or your provider just submit a covered expense. The fixed benefit for that eligible service is then paid, regardless of other insurance coverage.
How Health ProtectorGuard Works
Need something else?
We offer insurance products underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company that suit almost any coverage needs. Dental, vision, term life, critical illness, and more—build the right package of coverage for you and your loved ones today.
- THIS PRODUCT PROVIDES LIMITED BENEFITS. This is a supplement to health insurance and is not a substitute for the minimum essential coverage required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Lack of major medical coverage (or other minimum essential coverage) may result in an additional payment with your taxes.
- If you have a major medical plan, remember that you may need to stay with certain networks and providers to get the most coverage out of that plan. Take that into consideration when choosing where you get your care.
- Some HPG plans have a 6-month waiting period for wellness. Other HPG plans have a 30-day waiting period for wellness. For HPG plans in ID and MD, there is no waiting period for wellness. Check brochure for details.
- Intensive care or critical care hospitalization benefits are subject to a 31- or 60- day maximum per confinement. If more than one surgery occurs during any given day, the highest tiered amount is paid. Check brochure for details.
- Drug discount card is for prescription discounts only. This is not insurance.
Benefits vary by plan. Check brochure for details.
No individual applying for health coverage through the individual Marketplace will be discouraged from applying for benefits, turned down for coverage, or charged more premium because of health status, medical condition, mental illness claims experience, medical history, genetic information or health disability. In addition, no individual will be denied coverage based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, political affiliation or source of income.
References to UnitedHealthcare pertain to each individual company or other UnitedHealthcare affiliated companies.
Each company is a separate entity and is not responsible for another's financial or contractual obligations.
Administrative services are provided by United HealthCare Services, Inc. or their affiliates.
Products and services offered are underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, Health Plan of Nevada, Inc., Oxford Health Insurance, Inc., UnitedHealthcare Life Insurance Company, UnitedHealthcare of the Mid-Atlantic, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of New York, Inc.
This policy is subject to various exclusions and limitations. For costs, complete details of the coverage, and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued, call (or write) your insurance agent or the company (whichever is applicable).