Virtual health for group health plans
Use of virtual health solutions has been on the rise for nearly a decade, growing in employer adoption by 500% between 2013 and 2018.1 During the COVID-19 pandemic, 75% of employers expanded their virtual health offerings even further — and said they planned to keep them in place.2 These solutions have joined the ranks of benefits that employees expect from their health plan. In fact, the number of medical and behavioral care virtual visits among UnitedHealthcare members remained consistent from the height of the pandemic in 2020 through 2021.3
Expanding access to care through a growing continuum of virtual health solutions for everything from urgent and primary care to behavioral health, condition-specific monitoring, dental care, physical therapy and at-home testing, UnitedHealthcare is working to take virtual health far beyond the basics for your clients and their employees.
Putting virtual care technology to work for better outcomes
Unlocking the true potential of virtual health
Virtual care, built for real results
As the demand for virtual health solutions grows, UnitedHealthcare is continuing to expand online and mobile7 access to all kinds of care and support for employees and their families. Below is just a sample of what's available.
Virtual urgent and primary care
From urgent care to wellness exams, employees can access virtual care for some of their most common needs.
- Employees can connect to a provider by phone or video7 through myuhc.com® or the UnitedHealthcare® app
- Providers can treat a wide range of health conditions, from flu and pinkeye to migraines and more
- Providers can even prescribe medications,8 as needed
- Employers pay no additional administrative fees
- Employees can chat7 with an Optum Virtual Care Team member 24/7, find a certified Optum primary care provider (PCP) and establish a relationship with them virtually from anywhere in the U.S.
- Accessible from myuhc.com or the UnitedHealthcare app
- Employees are guided to in-person care when needed, and the Care Team offers follow-up for in-person care
- Designed to encourage employees to get regular checkups and visits, develop a stronger connection with a PCP and become more engaged in their health
- Available with many UnitedHealthcare open access medical plans such as Choice, Choice Plus, Core, Core Essential and more, with no additional administrative fees
Compassionate and convenient, virtual behavioral health solutions are designed to help make care more accessible for a continuum of needs.
- Provides access to emotional support right away, with trained emotional health specialists offering 24/7 phone support
- Specialists connect employees to programs they may be eligible for, such as coaching, in-person or virtual therapy, and self-help
- Employees can talk confidentially by phone, desktop or mobile device7 with a psychiatrist or therapist without leaving home
- Get evaluated for conditions like depression or anxiety
- Get a prescription,8 if needed
- Helps employees find support including confidential consultations and counseling, legal assistance and financial coaching
- Employers can also consult with specialists for help with workplace issues related to substance disorders, inappropriate workplace behavior and more
- Employers with EAP saw a 41% decrease in behavioral health-related days absent from work9
- Provides support for depression, anxiety and stress that may accompany health issues such as cardiac conditions, diabetes, chronic pain and cancer
- 8-week therapy and emotional support program
- Coaches available for 1-on-1 support
- Offers on-demand self-help for stress, anxiety and depression
- Employees may relieve symptoms and build life skills through daily mood tracking, guided journeys and community support
Virtual visits for dental care
- Available through DialCare, a network teledentistry provider
- Benefits include two virtual visits per year at no cost-share, as well as services such as 24/7 help for nonemergency dental conditions, second opinions, treatment options and medically necessary prescriptions from state-licensed and fully credentialed dentists
Condition-specific virtual care, monitoring and testing
Advanced digital therapeutics are giving employees new ways to help get and stay healthier, including remote monitoring for chronic conditions and more.
- A virtual Accountable Care Organization for people living with diabetes designed to help drive better outcomes, lower out-of-pocket costs for participants and return savings10 for employers
- Wearables like continuous glucose monitors and activity trackers help provide real-time data to customize care and intervene sooner
- Artificial intelligence and statistical models help tailor recommendations for each participant
- Virtual care teams help support each participant’s needs
- Connected asthma inhalers, blood pressure cuffs and pulse oximeters send real-time data to patients and providers to help identify potentially serious changes and intervene faster
- At-home sensors help older adults age in place and reduce the risk of falls and social isolation
- In addition to workplace and offsite testing options, at-home screening helps make screenings more convenient and accessible, and may encourage more employees to take part
- Self-administered tests are delivered to the employee’s home along with prepaid, postage-included return packaging
- Available for biometrics, colon cancer and hemoglobin A1C