Skip to main content
Main Content

UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of California Medi-Cal How To Enroll

Medi-Cal is free for children, adults, pregnant women, foster care children; former foster youth up to age 26, persons with special needs, and aged blind and disabled individuals with limited income and resources.

Who can qualify for Medi-Cal?

Learn if you qualify for Medi-Cal by visiting the DHCS website here:

How can I apply for Medi-Cal?

A single application will let you know if you qualify for Medi-Cal coverage. You can also apply in person at your local county human services agency or over the phone by calling (800) 300-1506. If you need help applying or have questions, you can contact a trained Certified Enrollment Counselor (CEC) for free. Search a list of local Certified Enrollment Counselors or call (800) 300-1506. You can also apply online at

After Applying

If you qualify for Medi-Cal, you will get a benefits identification card (BIC) in the mail, and you can start using it to get your health care as a new Medi-Cal member. In some cases, after you apply, we may need more information from you to make sure you qualify for Medi-Cal. In those cases, your county’s human services agency may contact you to verify that information.

If you are determined eligible, Medi-Cal will mail you a packet of available health plans to choose from.

If you have applied but have not received a BIC or been contacted by your county human services agency, please do not apply again. It may be because it is taking longer than normal to process applications. If you want to ask about your application, you can contact your county human services agency in person or over the phone.

If I already have Medi-Cal, how can I switch to UnitedHealthcare Community Plan?

If you are currently enrolled in a Medi-Cal Health Plan and want to switch to UnitedHealthcare Community Plan, you can call a Health Care Options (HCO) Representative, toll free, at 1-800-430-4263 between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday for assistance in making a health plan change.