Critical illness insurance
What is critical illness insurance?
Critical Illness insurance underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, also referred to as Critical Care insurance or Critical Illness coverage, provides a lump-sum cash benefit to help cover expenses associated with a qualifying serious illness.
Critical Illness can strike at any time. We’ve all heard stories of friends or family members who have been affected by a serious illness. What we don’t hear is how the financial strain may also have a major impact during this trying time.
A primary health insurance plan may cover some health care costs, but oftentimes the patient will face other challenges such as paying everyday living expenses while out of work. That’s when a Critical Illness plan can come into play.
Advantages of a critical illness plan
- Tax-advantaged, cash benefit1
- Flexibility to allocate money as needed
- Simple application of questions with yes or no answers
- Various maximum lifetime benefit amounts from $10,000 to $50,000
Select your state from the menu to read more about plans available where you live.
How it works — the scenario
- A Critical Illness policy with a mid-range $30,000 Maximum Lifetime Benefit is chosen
- Several months later the policyholder is diagnosed with an eligible condition
- Critical Illness insurance pays $30,000 to the policyholder as rehab continues
- Policyholder has an emergency fund to cover financial obligations during recovery
Your Golden Rule Insurance Company Critical Illness Maximum Lifetime Benefit amount can be paid out for:2
- Heart attack
- Life-threatening cancer3
- Loss of hearing
- Loss of speech
- Loss of vision
- Major organ transplant
- Renal failure
- Carcinoma in situ
- Coronary artery bypass graft
Cash benefit to use as you see fit
- Mortgage or rent payments
- Out-of-pocket medical costs
- Treatment by a specialist
- Transportation to and from treatment
How much coverage do I need?
The American Association for Critical Illness Insurance recommends to have enough coverage to make your mortgage payment for 2 years.4
Pairing a Critical Illness plan with other health insurance products like Short Term Medical, Dental, Term Life and Accident products can help build a more comprehensive coverage package. Talk to a Product Advisor about your options.
Did you know
Most American households are savings-limited, meaning they can replace less than one month of their income through liquid savings.
Need help finding a plan?
Answer a few questions to see which insurance options may be available for you.
- Always consult with your tax advisor for details on the federal and state tax issues that apply to you.
- Waiting periods may apply.
- Diagnosed more than 90 days after effective date.
- American Association for Critical Illness Insurance, 2011.
- http://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/assets/2015/01/fsm_balance_sheet_report.pdf -January 29, 2015.
No individual applying for health coverage through the individual Marketplace will be discouraged from applying for benefits, turned down for coverage, or charged more premium because of health status, medical condition, mental illness claims experience, medical history, genetic information or health disability. In addition, no individual will be denied coverage based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, political affiliation or source of income.
References to UnitedHealthcare pertain to each individual company or other UnitedHealthcare affiliated companies.
Each company is a separate entity and is not responsible for another’s financial or contractual obligations.
Administrative services are provided by United HealthCare Services, Inc. or their affiliates.
Products and services offered are underwritten by All Savers Insurance Company, Golden Rule Insurance Company, Health Plan of Nevada, Inc., Oxford Health Plans (NJ), Inc., UnitedHealthcare Benefits Plan of California, UnitedHealthcare Community Plan, Inc., UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, UnitedHealthcare Life Insurance Company, UnitedHealthcare of Colorado, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Alabama, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Arkansas, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Florida, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Georgia, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Kentucky, LTD., UnitedHealthcare of Louisiana, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of the Mid-Atlantic, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of the Midlands, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of the Midwest, UnitedHealthcare of Mississippi, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of New England, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of New York, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of North Carolina, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Ohio, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Oklahoma, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Pennsylvania, Inc., Unitedhealthcare of Washington, Inc.
In New Mexico, products and services offered are only underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company.
This policy is subject to various exclusions and limitations. For costs and complete details of the coverage, call (or write) your insurance agent or the company (whichever is applicable).