Critical illness insurance
What is critical illness insurance?
Critical Illness insurance underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, also referred to as Critical Care insurance or Critical Illness coverage, provides a lump-sum cash benefit to help cover expenses associated with a qualifying serious illness.
Critical Illness can strike at any time. We’ve all heard stories of friends or family members who have been affected by a serious illness. What we don’t hear is how the financial strain may also have a major impact during this trying time.
A primary health insurance plan may cover some health care costs, but oftentimes the patient will face other challenges such as paying everyday living expenses while out of work. That’s when a Critical Illness plan can come into play.
Advantages of a critical illness plan
- Tax-advantaged, cash benefit1
- Flexibility to allocate money as needed
- Simple application of questions with yes or no answers
- Various maximum lifetime benefit amounts from $10,000 to $50,000
Select your state from the menu to read more about plans available where you live.
How it works — the scenario
- A Critical Illness policy with a mid-range $30,000 Maximum Lifetime Benefit is chosen
- Several months later the policyholder is diagnosed with an eligible condition
- Critical Illness insurance pays $30,000 to the policyholder as rehab continues
- Policyholder has an emergency fund to cover financial obligations during recovery
Your Golden Rule Insurance Company Critical Illness Maximum Lifetime Benefit amount can be paid out for:2
- Heart attack
- Life-threatening cancer3
- Loss of hearing
- Loss of speech
- Loss of vision
- Major organ transplant
- Renal failure
- Carcinoma in situ
- Coronary artery bypass graft
Cash benefit to use as you see fit
- Mortgage or rent payments
- Out-of-pocket medical costs
- Treatment by a specialist
- Transportation to and from treatment
How much coverage do I need?
The American Association for Critical Illness Insurance recommends to have enough coverage to make your mortgage payment for 2 years.4
Pairing a Critical Illness plan with other health insurance products like Short Term Medical, Dental, Term Life and Accident products can help build a more comprehensive coverage package. Talk to a Product Advisor about your options.
Did you know
Most American households are savings-limited, meaning they can replace less than one month of their income through liquid savings.
Need help finding a plan?
Answer a few questions to see which insurance options may be available for you.