Life in motion.
There’s a big focus on wellness today. And there’s a good reason. It’s because strong wellness programs may help people live healthier, more active lives with fewer health problems. That’s positive for everyone.
Using wearable devices, UnitedHealthcare Motion helps participants track steps, set goals and earn financial incentives when they reach daily walking targets.
Here’s how it works:
- Eligible employees and covered spouses create an account on unitedhealthcaremotion.com and select an activity tracker from the website or use a Motion-compatible activity tracker they already own.
- An "activation credit" can be applied to purchased devices or taken as a reward if they use their own device. Purchased devices are delivered to the employee’s home.
- Employees set up their device, begin walking to meet daily FIT (Frequency, Intensity, Tenacity) goals and sync their device weekly.
- Every day, employees can earn a $3–$4 incentive, deposited quarterly into their HRA or HSA. All they have to do is walk to earn up to $1,095 or $1,460 per year.
Employees start by registering and syncing their device – and then get moving! Every day participants seek to achieve the three FIT goals.
- Frequency: 500 steps in 7 minutes; six times a day, at least one hour apart ($1.50 per day/$1.00)
- Intensity: 3,000 steps in 30 minutes ($1.25 per day/$1.00)
- Tenacity: 10,000 steps in one day ($1.25 per day/$1.00)
When goals are reached, rewards add up!
Participating has more than just financial rewards. Research suggests that walking and staying active can help employees:
- stay at a healthy weight;
- prevent or manage certain conditions, such as heart disease, high blood pressure and type-2 diabetes;
- strengthen bones’;
- decrease feelings of depression; and
- improve balance and coordination.
Healthier employees may also mean lower absenteeism and higher productivity, along with improved employee morale.
of participants sustain engagement over 18 months.
of those eligible to participate in Motion registered for the program.
UnitedHealthcare Motion is designed for people enrolled in high-deductible health plans, such as HRAs and HSAs, with efforts to expand to traditional plans. UnitedHealthcare Motion is available nationally for mid-sized and large employers and has limited availability for small businesses. Talk to your broker or UnitedHealthcare account representative for more information.
*Based on the Key Accounts Motion book of business from 7/1/16 to 6/30/17.