North Carolina health insurance options
You have more insurance options for your health than you think, North Carolina
If you’re self-employed or without insurance from your employer – in other words, you’re looking for individual or family health insurance in North Carolina – you might be looking for Affordable Care Act insurance, what's often called Obamacare. However, we want to make you aware of the whole range of individual and family insurance products we have available in your state.
UnitedHealthcare Individual and Family Marketplace plans in North Carolina
Enrollment is now open through Jan. 15, 2022
Looking for health care plans on the Marketplace? UnitedHealthcare Individual and Family Marketplace plans offer affordable, reliable coverage options from UnitedHealthcare of North Carolina, Inc. As part of the American Rescue Plan Act (2021), many individuals and families are now eligible for lower — or in some cases $01, 2 — monthly premiums for Marketplace health coverage.
Call 1-800-273-8095 / TTY 711 to talk to a representative.
Short term health insurance in North Carolina
A temporary medical insurance plan like short term health insurance3 underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company may provide:
- Budget-friendly monthly payments
- Health care coverage while you search for a long term option
Health insurance coverage for multiple years
TriTerm Medical Insurance,4 underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, is short term health insurance that offers coverage for preventive care, doctor office visits, and prescriptions.
- Apply once for insurance coverage terms that equal one day less than 3 years.
- $2 million lifetime maximum benefit per covered person on most plans.
- Eligible expenses for preexisting conditions are covered after 12 months on the plan.
Hospital & doctor insurance
Health ProtectorGuard fixed indemnity insurance,5 underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, can supplement your major medical plan by paying cash for eligible, covered medical services, like a doctor visit, a trip to urgent care or a surgical procedure.
- No deductibles or copays to pay first
- Benefits paid regardless of other insurance
- Money to pay costs not covered by major medical plans, like a deductible
Accident & critical illness insurance
Accidental injuries and critical illness happen when you least expect them. Those unexpected expenses can strain any budget. Accident insurance5 and critical illness insurance5 can help by paying cash benefits for covered injuries or illnesses.
The Accident Pro series of products, underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, combines accident insurance with critical illness, hospitalization, and accidental death and dismemberment coverage all in one. Some plans are guaranteed issue, meaning your application won’t be turned down for preexisting conditions.
North Carolina dental and vision plans
Dental and vision insurance plans, underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, have no age limit restrictions.6 They offer coverage for the dental and vision services many medical insurance plans don’t include.
From Charlotte to Raleigh, Asheville to Wilmington, explore these North Carolina health insurance options and more that may be available now.
Need help finding a plan?
Answer a few questions to see which insurance options may be available for you.
UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plans in North Carolina
These plans offer all the benefits of Medicare Parts A and B as well as coverage for extra benefits like prescription drugs, dental, and vision.
Health insurance for individuals who are 65 or older, or those under 65 who may qualify because of a disability or another special situation.
Call 1-844-232-1426 to learn more.
We offer low cost or no cost health insurance plans for those with limited incomes.
- Some plans may require copayments, deductibles and/or coinsurance for these benefits. Plans in metal tiers vary and are subject to plan deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance. This policy has exclusions, limitations, reduction of benefits, and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of the coverage, review your plan documents, call or write your insurance agent or the company, whichever is applicable. By responding to this offer, you agree that a representative may contact you.
- To qualify for a $0 monthly premium, you must meet household income requirements for Advanced Premium Tax Credits.
- Short term health insurance is medically underwritten and does not cover preexisting conditions. It is not minimum essential coverage as defined by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and may not cover all Essential Health Benefits in your state. Lack of major medical coverage (or other minimum essential coverage) may result in an additional payment with your taxes.
- TriTerm Medical Insurance is a medically-underwritten, short term limited-duration product. It is not minimum essential coverage as defined by the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and may not cover all Essential Health Benefits in your state. Lack of major medical coverage (or other minimum essential coverage) may result in an additional payment with your taxes.
- THIS PLAN PROVIDES LIMITED BENEFITS. This is a supplement to health insurance and is not a substitute for the minimum essential coverage defined by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Primary insured must be 18 years of age or older.
Individual and Family Marketplace plans — Medical plan coverage offered by: UnitedHealthcare of Arizona, Inc.; Rocky Mountain Health Maintenance Organization, Incorporated in CO; UnitedHealthcare of Florida, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Georgia, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Illinois, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company in LA, TN and AL; Optimum Choice, Inc. in VA and MD; UnitedHealthcare Community Plan, Inc. in MI; UnitedHealthcare of North Carolina, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Oklahoma, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Texas, Inc.; and UnitedHealthcare of Oregon, Inc. in WA. Administrative Services provided by United HealthCare Services, Inc. or their affiliates.
Product design and availability varies by state. Some benefits have waiting periods.
No individual applying for health coverage through the individual Marketplace will be discouraged from applying for benefits, turned down for coverage, or charged more premium because of health status, medical condition, mental illness claims experience, medical history, genetic information or health disability. In addition, no individual will be denied coverage based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, political affiliation or source of income.
References to UnitedHealthcare pertain to each individual company or other UnitedHealthcare affiliated companies.
Each company is a separate entity and is not responsible for another's financial or contractual obligations.
Administrative services are provided by United HealthCare Services, Inc. or their affiliates.
Products and services offered are underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, Health Plan of Nevada, Inc., Oxford Health Insurance, Inc., UnitedHealthcare Life Insurance Company, UnitedHealthcare of the Mid-Atlantic, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of New York, Inc.
This policy is subject to various exclusions and limitations. For costs and complete details of the coverage, call (or write) your insurance agent or the company (whichever is applicable).