How can I help my child keep a healthy smile?
- As parent, set an example by taking good care of your own teeth.
- Before your child’s teeth start to appear in the mouth, begin to massage the teeth and gums with your finger or a warm, wet washcloth or a small gauze pad.
- When the first baby teeth appear, floss and brush your child’s teeth until he is old enough to do this himself.
- Feed your child a balanced diet and offer healthy snacks.
- Ask your dentist about fluoride and other treatments that prevent cavities.
- Make sure your child has regular dental care throughout his or her development.
Learn more about caring for your child's teeth: