Life in motion
There’s a big focus on wellness today. And there’s a good reason. It’s because strong wellness programs may help people live healthier, more active lives with fewer health problems. That’s positive for everyone.
Using wearable devices, UnitedHealthcare Motion helps participants track steps, set goals and earn financial incentives when they reach daily walking targets.
Here’s how it works:
- Members receive a welcome email from their employer and/or UnitedHealthcare.
- Eligible employees and covered spouses create an account on unitedhealthcaremotion.com and shop for an activity device or use a device they already own.
- An "activation credit" may be applied to purchased devices or taken as a reward if they use their own device. Purchased devices are delivered to the employee’s home.
- Participants set up their device, begin walking to meet daily FIT (Frequency, Intensity, Tenacity) goals and sync their device daily.
- Every day, participants can earn an incentive, deposited quarterly into their HRA or HSA, as applicable.
Employees start by registering and syncing their device – and then get moving! Every day participants may seek to achieve the three FIT goals.
- Frequency: 500 steps in 7 minutes; six times a day, at least one hour apart
- Intensity: 3,000 steps in 30 minutes
- Tenacity: 10,000 steps in one day
When goals are reached, incentives add up!
Participating has more than just financial rewards. Research suggests that walking and staying active can help employees:
- stay at a healthy weight;
- prevent or manage certain conditions, such as heart disease, high blood pressure and type-2 diabetes;
- strengthen bones’;
- decrease feelings of depression; and
- improve balance and coordination.
Healthier employees may also mean lower absenteeism and higher productivity, along with improved employee morale.
of participants sustain engagement over 6 months.2
of those eligible to participate in Motion registered for the program.3
UnitedHealthcare Motion is designed for people enrolled in high-deductible health plans, such as HRAs and HSAs. UnitedHealthcare Motion is available nationally for mid-sized and large employers and has limited availability for small businesses. Talk to your broker or UnitedHealthcare account representative for more information.
- 2018 internal analysis of 37,082 Motion participants who recorded at least one step in 2018.
- 2018 internal analysis of 20,330 Motion participants in Key Accounts who recorded steps between 10/1/15 and 6/1/18.
- Internal analysis of registered Motion members in UnitedHealthcare book of business, 2018